A Birthday in China

Every Wednesday, all of the children get to go on a field trip. Today was the first day of testing out how that would play out. It was both chaotic and exhausting. Simply just to get on the bus seemed like a hassle. Once we finally arrived, after many missed turns and backing up, we explored the Aquarium. I had to consistently do a head count of the children that I was responsible for and had to remind them to not roam off without a buddy. The Aquarium was an interesting experience, I can't remember the last time that I went to one. I was disheartened to see so many different types of fish in small tanks, cramped and limited to space and freedom. We made it just in time for the whale show where we sat and watched as sea lions were made a spectacle of, playing with a beach ball and doing tricks. Then the whales performed a set. I was not especially fond when the trainer rode on top of the whale through the waves, but the crowd burst with laughter and claps.
                          

For about 3 years now, my sister Gabriella and I traditionally spend my birthday together and have a week long celebration for the 4th of July and her birthday on the 5th. It felt bittersweet to not be with her, but I know that there are more birthdays to come, more moments to celebrate. When the children found out that it was my birthday, their excitement level went off the roof, insisting that they sing to me. First they sang "Happy Birthday" in English, then Mandarin, and I was surprised when a girl started to sing it in Irish. They attempted to guess my age, ranging anywhere from 20 to 35... I couldn't help but smile at their pure innocence and nativity, their minds lacking in judgement, yet to be corrupted by society's standards and laws. Their kind hearts are filled with compassion, acting in love.

After arriving home from what was supposed to be an easy field trip day, but turned into a long and tiring day, we made reservations to all go to a restaurant that I had researched. An organic and local dining place that offers western style food, it was called The Orchard. Communicating through our phones to translate in Mandarin, we asked the front desk to call four taxis. An hour later, no taxis arrived and we had to cancel our reservation. We ended up having to eat at the hotel...the language barrier proved to be too difficult. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the company of my coworkers as we sat and talked openly about our past, sharing our thoughts and experiences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris- Third Times the Charm

Day 2: Culture Shock?

The Journey Before the Journey