The World Through My Eyes or Through the Lens of a Camera?

Right now I am sitting at a really beautiful and expensive coffee place called "Rain Coffee". Only the coffee here is over priced, but the food is really cheap. While exploring China, I've noticed that the food here is always really inexpensive when compared to the beverages. You can easily purchase a meal for $5 in US currency, but the drinks might be the same price, if not more. The cafe is about a ten minute walk from our apartment. There are massive chandeliers here and all of the furniture are leather. It is two stories decorated with colorful murals on the walls. This place is a hidden gem. I've been craving a nice cup of coffee to sip on and relax. Borrowing a computer from Jocelyn, this is the first time I've been able to sit down and think about the fact that I am actually in Beijing, China right now.
      
With the advancement in technology, our generation seems to be losing touch of genuine conversations and the appreciation of nature without stopping to take a "selfy". Since being on this trip, I've been questioning the use of cameras and phones to document moments. Moments that are not being enjoyed through our senses but instead through the click of a camera. I admit that I am a hypocrite of my own words and every time I pull out my phone to capture an image, I catch myself being torn. Am I taking a photo to remember a moment for myself or is my intention to share it with a world that doesn't really care or know what the experience was like? Yesterday when touring the Forbidden City, a huge tourist attraction, it was especially noticeable. It was easy to identify the locals from the tourists. The locals were often alone, sitting on a bench without a phone, but instead a book, simply living in the present, taking everything in as it was. When I was at the top of the pavilion in the Jingshan Park, there was a huge Buddhist temple. A sacred place of worship and serenity, we were not allowed to take photos. It overlooked the entire Forbidden City, a view that I wish I could somehow describe to you. As I sat up there, I loved every moment of it, no cameras were able to disrupt my thoughts or feelings. I was so at peace and I don't think that I could have felt that way if everyone was trying to take a picture of the temple.

After enjoying some free time, we toured the British School of Beijing which is the school that we will be working at every day for five days a week for the next two months. 3 stories high with a theater room, a dance studio, a huge gym, and a swimming pool, it was definitely an intense school. They even had a dome for when the air quality is considered unsafe for the children to play in. The school has a diversity of international students from Britain, New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Dutch and of course, China and America. I was informed that I would be working with about 12 six year old kids with another camp counselor. Each of our groups received a Chinese translator. The Chinese girl in my group is named Claire and she just graduated college from Beijing with a degree in Education and Tourism. After these two months she has a job lined up to teach English in China. I could easily understand her English even though she had difficulty with pronunciation. We are not allowed to take any pictures with the children as part of the policy but we will be around them for 8 hours every day. Today reminded me of why I am in China. If it wasn't for the children and for this incredible program, I would not be here right now. To learn more about it or if you are interested in becoming a part of the family, check out these websites. This is information about the Camp Adventure Youth and Child Service Program:
http://oregoncampadventure.weebly.com

This is some more information about the school and the US Beijing Embassy:
http://www.aeabeijing.net/summercamp/

After spending several hours at the school, we returned to our apartments. Lightning like I had never seen before lit up the sky as warm rain watered the Earth. The sight of rain filled my heart with joy and I immediately began to dance. I had missed the rain so much since being here.

Gathered in my room are five girls that I have completely fallen in love with. They are each so unique and different, providing a positive atmosphere that I can be myself around. I am blessed to have met these ladies and to be creating memories with them this summer. We have a lot to learn from one another. Currently we are cooking together, the aroma of dumplings and noodles fills the room and the laughter filled air is music to my ears.
    

I am beyond excited to begin working with the children and to grow both personally and professionally. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris- Third Times the Charm

Day 2: Culture Shock?

The Journey Before the Journey