"Safety Not Guaranteed."

If you haven't already, you should go watch this movie! It's worthwhile.

Traveling alone is one of the scariest things that I've ever done. It's also one of the most rewarding experiences.

I've never felt so taken advantage of, so vulnerable, so angry at the world...my last day spent in Eugene was in the company of good friendships , in fact the last couple of days had been really pleasant. My dear friend Taylor from back home drove me up after I parked my car in my mom's driveway and we went  on a camping trip with some of my favorite human (lady) beings. I truly wanted to be engulfed by the beauty of nature, its simply yet breathtaking scenery has always been my constant escape.

Last night, Stephanie, Sol and I decided to drive up to Portland a little early before my flight to enjoy the night life. It was intended to be a fun last night spent with my best friends, a distraction from the goodbye's, the harsh reality that when I returned, many people will be in other parts of the world. We returned to the car an hour early before I needed to leave for my flight and what I found or didn't find  shocked me... Someone had stolen all of my luggage, which included both of my carry-ons, my checked bag, and Sol's bag containing a lot of money in it.  The only thing that wasn't taken was my purse which I had on me and my money belt which had my passport and flight itinerary in it. Everything was gone, my laptop, a very expensive camera, all of clothes, shoes, anything that had some sort of sentimental value or use for me was gone. We called the cops and of course they told us to file a police report online. With only an hour left, we drove around the heart of Portland, hoping and wishing that somehow  everything would turn up.

They rushed me to the airport, tossed whatever clothes they could find in the car and wearing a dress that wasn't mine and shoes that were too big for me, I checked into my airline. Here I am waiting for my last flight to  Beijing which is supposed to be over 12 hours with nothing but a small tote bag , my  ID and phone.  I'm running on 2 hours of sleep...

I believe in karma, giving and receiving good energy, a greater message from the Universe. Maybe I wasn't supposed to bring any of my stuff with me, but instead to start completely new and fresh. The only way to let everything go is to have nothing...The only place I can go from here is up. There's no point in sitting here sulking about the situation. It already happened and I learned from my mistakes. Traveling is a risk, safety is not guaranteed.

"I will not be sad that you are gone, but overjoyed that someone I love so dearly is shining her light on a new part of the world. China needs you. I do not need you. I already have you, and that means letting you go when you have to go." 

~A Letter from Stephanie Gordon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris- Third Times the Charm

The Journey Before the Journey

Semana Santa aka Week of Exploring